Re: Bulleted lists... Is there a limit?

Subject: Re: Bulleted lists... Is there a limit?
From: Pat Gantt <pagantt -at- POSTOFFICE -dot- WORLDNET -dot- ATT -dot- NET>
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 1997 07:19:25 -0500

> I often use 2 and 3 item bulleted lists. Do these not work?

Of course and you knew that. It depends if the procedure
or whatever is meant to be followed without the reader
referring back to the procedure or not.

In other words, are they going to have the directions in
hand while working on the say machine or is it something
they are supposed to remember? If it something they
are supposed to remember than of course 3 is about
maximum.

You are correct. Breaking things up into small steps
for bullets are best. I was taught actually 5 was about
it for bullets. Minimum was 3. Sorta' like using
items in a series...
apples, oranges, and pears. Of course depending on
your style manual it could be apples, oranges and pears.
I am dating myself of course but I prefer the former
not the later.

Most professional military writers now use APA style
standards. I know our department did. MLA is a more
literary style. Not that there's anything wrong
with MLA. Have done both. Anywhoo I already asked
my reference librarians for MLA and APA style
guides up on the Net. Will publish URLs on my
page if anyone is interested.

--

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Best Regards,

Pat Gantt, M.S. HRD
Personal email ~ pagantt -at- worldnet -dot- att -dot- net
The University of Tennessee Alum
Technical and Vocational Studies Guide
~ The Mining Company ~
Biz Mail ~ votech -dot- guide -at- miningco -dot- com
http://votech.miningco.com
[humor = (intelligence + personality)]
GO VOLS! Don't ask Peyton who!