Survey

Subject: Survey
From: "Klopfenstein, Ed (AFS)" <EdK -at- ACCU-FAB -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 1997 10:38:17 -0700

Jack Bonney wrote:
readers and users remain very dissatisfied with the quality of
documentation and manuals produced throughout business, industry, and
government.

Obviously you've touched a nerve, Jack, by the extent of flaming hate
mail you've produced.

Some of your points, however, have a measure of truth -- some
documentation out there is bad (I am currently revising a not-to-be
named Japanese manufacturer's documentation just so our clients can
understand it).

Nevertheless, your research doesn't seem like research. Having spent
time as a market analyst for the software industry and having a master's
degree that focused on market analysis, I know you need to:
1) Present a question that's based on previous research attempted by
other reputable researchers.
2) ID YOURSELF AND YOUR PURPOSE to your target audience!
3) Present a measurable list of questions that can be analyzed with a
degree of accuracy.
4) Attempt to scientifically reach your target audience through (again,
measurable and scientifically acceptable) sampling techniques.

What you've done is present a biased set of information that sets
participants up to either react or support that information. You're not
going to get good information -- that is, unless you're a marketing
animal hunting for negative "quotes" to give to prospective clients
thinking about buying your company's product.

But you wouldn't do that. .... that's immoral and possibly illegal!

Would you?

Ed Klopfenstein

Technical Writer
Accu-Fab Systems, Inc.