Re: Inappropriate interview

Subject: Re: Inappropriate interview
From: Pat Gantt <pagantt -at- POSTOFFICE -dot- WORLDNET -dot- ATT -dot- NET>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 1997 19:31:21 -0500

> It may certainly be true that questions reflect the interviewer
> rather than the company, and that someone might need work badly
> enough not to immediately blow off a company if asked inappropriate
> questions during an interview.

True

> At the same time, I'd keep these questions in mind and make sure to
> interview with at least a couple of other people at the company as
> well. While getting a job may be an imperative, you also don't want to
> invest a lot of time and effort in starting a job at a company at which
> you'll be unhappy -- it just means you'll be out there interviewing
> again in a little while anyway!

Exactly. Now companies in certain areas of country have an over-supply
of potential employees these companies are starting you with a
screening or a written test for the first interview.

The person you are facing probably is not
technical. These folks are HR generalist of HR management.

They, of all people, should know better than to ask
questions based on gender, race, amount of children,
marriage or no etc.

Some HR folks got their jobs by
default and not qualifications and education. If you
are asked inappropriate question or illegal ones
you may as well excuse yourself at this point.

Reason: you probably won't get the job anyway so
why waste *your* valuable time? Be tactful smile,
thank them for their time, shake hands at the door,
and leave.

HR trick: asking a rhetorical or unanswerable question.

Interviewee trick: Answer their question with a question.
[clarification] [pause]. Watch for nuiances, reactions, and
perhaps an answer to your question of their question ;-)
[inquiry method of questioning] <- took a prof. published
by Jossey-Bass for this course.

Reminds me of being on the witness stand. Lawyers rehearse
their clients to never volunteer. In other words answer
the exact question asked of you then... STOP.

Next if you pass muster you may interview with a
technical person or panel next. As is in my case,
I generally have at least 3-5/1 in a group interviewer panel.

Fun, fun, fun. Have had four interviews for one position
with one company with a total of ten individuals. Whew!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Best Regards,

Pat Gantt, M.S. HRD
Personal email ~ pagantt -at- worldnet -dot- att -dot- net
The University of Tennessee Alum
Technical and Vocational Studies Guide
~ The Mining Company ~
Biz Mail ~ votech -dot- guide -at- miningco -dot- com
http://votech.miningco.com
[humor = (intelligence + personality)]
GO VOLS! Don't ask Peyton who!