Re: Non-standard Manual Sizes

Subject: Re: Non-standard Manual Sizes
From: Kathy Marshall <kmarshall -at- MODACAD -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 1997 11:28:40 -0700

All of our manuals are 7" X 8.5" (I chose this because it half the size
of legal paper and I figured it would cut down the cost of trimming the
pages.)

We use FrameMaker, so all I do is create a new document, select the
"Custom" option, and type in the page dimensions. We send it to the
printer in PostScript form. FrameMaker also allows you to print
registration marks (which identify where exactly the paper is to be
trimmed). I print these, again, to make the printer's life easier.

You probably have a similar option in Word (File-->Page Setup-->Paper
Size). All you need to do is custom design the page and then explain to
the printer how you want it (be very explicit; send sample pages if need
be). However, I'm not sure Word has a registration marks option. I would
recommend getting this professionally done, although for mockup
purposes, you could print onto legal size paper and just cut it in half.

my $.02,
Kathy