Re: something to read

Subject: Re: something to read
From: polly21annan2sci -at- mail -dot- utexas -dot- edu
To: rebecca -at- white -dot- sc -dot- ti -dot- com (Rebecca Carr)
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 97 17:34:08 -0600

Okay,

I got a big project assigned to me at work and I have some questions for you.

First of all, I'm making a procedure manual. It is basic in it's content and
format but I have to create it given all these different, barely legible,
chicken scratch notes and I have to decide on the formatting and the style and
the organization, etc.

So, it's simply expaining how all this data (insurance data) SHOULD be entered
into the system. The way the data is inputted currently, you can't pull a query
or do a comparison between two different files because there is no common field
between all these different databases. Also, there is a lot of misinformation
inputted and later drawn upon due to the inconsistency of inputting. So, my
questions are: 1) should I use PowerPoint and do it all in that slide
presentation way. (i think this is a yes answer because it allow bullets but I
know Word offers that too, but things are more easily maneuvered in Powerpoint
and slightly easier to organize than in WOrd.
The only other options are word and excel and then there's all these
seemingly rinky-dink software applications available through the MicroSoft
Office package, including Line, Word Dialog editor, and other different graphic
things. I dont think any of those even deal with what I'm talking about but I'm
not familiar with them and maybe they can be aides to this whole thing. I'm
asking you that.

Also, many times when I make charts and graphs and blah blah blah, at the end or
near the end, I'll notice something that would have completely made my progress
faster and easier. But, at that point it's too late and so, it's a wasted
observation for at that time. SO, i'm wondering if there are some major
precautionary tips that you might can give me to counter any drawn out probs I
could run into. If not, that's fine.

Okay, let me tell you more about the format of this thing. It's different
sections of a screen nad I'm going to identify the screen, the title, each blank
in the screen and it's corresponding potential data, and the subsections of
blanks that may apply depending upon that previous inputted info. SO, it's
going to be something like this:

" Benefits & Pricing Procedure Manuel"
AMISYS

Group Practice PR0400

PR= -HO
-AN
-lab -DME
-xray -HH
-ambul -SNF

-AH
-LC
-PhD

etc. The outer dashes will be bullets and the inner ones will either be dashes
or a different type of bullet. Anyway, I know i have a good eye for
organization and for producing a readable, spacious kind of form. But, I feel a
little hesitant in beginning this and stumbling around in the trial and error
part of it. So, i'm hoping that you can shed some light on this for me.

Another question I had is this. When you write a name in the "last name first"
order, where do the name modifiers go, like the Jr and III and stuff? I believe
that it goes like this: Carden Jr, William John, however my boss has presented
it like this: Carden, William John Jr. It's not the biggest thing in the
world, however I want to consult a book of style or the next best thing, you,
and find out for sure. Because, again, for consistency sake, I want to present
it in it's most correct form so people will obey it and we can clear up the
terrible mess this entire company's information, claim data, and files are
in!!!

Thanks in advance!

Jennifer