Re: Interview Questions

Subject: Re: Interview Questions
From: Dan BRINEGAR <vr2link -at- VR2LINK -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 1997 00:18:50 -0700

Kathryn J Acciari <acciari -at- ACSU -dot- BUFFALO -dot- EDU> threw out a few interview
questions for consideration:

>Here are just a few that have take me by surprise:
>
>6. What Myers-Briggs personality type are you? (Oh great,
>psychoanalysis on the interview.)

Oh! I'd be happy to answer that question!

Usually I'm INTP at work, but if I've been hanging out with my Roomie all
day I'll be INFP. But boyyy, there are times when I get ENFJ, and *MAN* ya
better watch out then! <start cackling hysterically like nerds-on-death-row
and schizophrenic-radio-talk-show-callers do>.

But seriously folks, the most recent questions that *really* surprised me
were questions I wouldn't have answered (with full disclosure) from yer
typical pointy-haired manager-type: but since the interviewer was a former
First-Sergeant, and we had just been telling war-stories for twenty
minutes, I felt compelled to answer;

* What's the biggest technical error you've ever made?

"It was the first time we went to the field on our own with
our new microwave ground-stations in the National Guard -- I told my
Lieutenant that everything in the commo van was fully stocked and we took
off for the remotest part of Arizona. We arrived and set up and discovered
that we had no wave-guide gaskets and no radio crystals : just empty
mylar-and-bubblewrap envelopes. My checklist said specifically to open one
of the envelopes in each drawer at random to make sure they were there, and
I just opened the drawers, fingered the envelopes and checked-it-off. We
were off-the-air and missing the whole weekend till the Executive Officer
came out with the Mess Truck on Sunday."

"And what did the Lieutenant do about that?"

"She jumped-up-and-down alot and declared that the new platoon motto was
'Doggone-it, Sarn't Brinegar!' "

"And what did you do about it?"

"I spent the next drill making an inventory of all the consumable items for
all the commo vans for the whole Company, and loading them all according to
the manuals."

*NOT* something you could tell a pointy-haired manager!

Dan BRINEGAR, CCDB Vr2Link
Performance S u p p o r t Svcs.
Phoenix, Arizona

vr2link -at- vr2link -dot- com
http://www.vr2link.com
"Show up, be there, think it up and do it, exceed your job-description,
control your own means of production (that's yer brain)! "