Offensive symbols in Italy

Subject: Offensive symbols in Italy
From: Alessandro Bottoni <albo -at- CADLAB -dot- IT>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 1997 09:26:14 +0200

You can use the "Thumb's up" symbol safely in Italy. We use a "Middle finger's up" symbol to mean obscenities, not the "Thumb's up". In Italy the symbol "Thumb's up" has the same meaning that it has in USA and UK.

I noticed that many USA and UK books regarding our national "sign language" are largely incorrect. Maybe, they are incorrect regarding the sign language of other people, too. When you are in doubt, ask to an Italian (or greek, arabic, etc..) friend.

Alessandro Bottoni
Technical writer
Cad.Lab SPA
Via Ronzani 7/29