Re: HTML editor/converter choices

Subject: Re: HTML editor/converter choices
From: Josée Sévigny <jsy -at- DEFACTO -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 1997 07:30:50 -0400

Hi Alfred,

1. I manage sites with FrontPage (although I'd like to move to Visual InterDev) so I use FP Editor for most things but will use Allaire's HomeSite (ascii editor) when I need to tweak things a bit.
I have tried HotDog, PageMill (when it first came out) and Communicator.
Things I'm looking for when I choose an editor are the support for frames, the ability to change the attributes of a tag after having added it, the ability to add unrecognized code (such as ColdFusion) without the editor stripping it off when I reopen the file, the support for both IE and Netscape tags and the ability to do a lot of things directly from inside the editor (such as image maps, editing an image, adding scripts...).

2. I was just looking for tools to convert "for paper" docs to HTML and I found HTML Transit. As long as you use styles, it will convert your docs quite easily including tables, images, etc. It will even build a frameset (TOC, content, index) if you so like. The content can be broken onto separate pages based on chapter, page, etc. Pretty flexible. Don't think it supports Frame though but Frame does have it's own converter anyway.

--
j o s é e s é v i g n y d e F a c t o e n r .