Re: Odd-size Manuals

Subject: Re: Odd-size Manuals
From: Wayne Douglass <wayned -at- VERITY -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 1997 16:42:04 -0700

At 06:27 PM 7/30/97 -0500, Dan Wise wrote:
>I read a lot of messages giving advice on the production of manuals in sizes
>other than 8.5 x 11. But I don't think I saw anyone ask the question *why?*

If the question is "Why are there page sizes smaller than 8.5 x 11?" then I
think we know the reason why. IBM wanted to make it hard to pirate SW and
documentation and settled on the 7 x 9 inch format to make it more difficult
to copy the manuals. Like everything IBM did in those days, it became a
"standard" and we've been living with it ever since.

--Wayne