Air force 1 in Australia

Subject: Air force 1 in Australia
From: Irene Wong <wongword -at- OZEMAIL -dot- COM -dot- AU>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 1997 22:01:41 +1100

On 29 Oct 1991 a Royal Australian Airforce 707 (as a republican it hurts
to type that name) crashed off the SE Australian coast while on a
training flight. All five crew died. I think from memory it was a plane
attached to our prime ministers' personal fleet.

In the daily newspaper, the Sydney Morning Herald, of 19 October 1993
was a report of the coroner's findings. I reported this in the monthly
newsletter of the Australian Society for Tech Comm in August 1994.

A couple of quotes attributed in the newspaper to the coroner:
RAAF instructions for the use of a Boeing 707 transporet jet were
"grossly inadequate".

The paper said:
"While finding the captain of the plane ultimately responsible for the
crash ... [the coroner] strongly criticised the RAAF for inadequate
supervision, traiing and lack if documentation about flying
procedures....But because there was no formal RAAF instructions on the
proceedure [minimum control speed} Squadron Leader Lewin had been forced
to devise his own instructions, leading to inconsistency and lack of
standardisation".

If you want the full newspaper report, search for the SMH web site. They
have a search facility. I don't know if it is free access to archives.

regards
Irene Wong
Senior Editor
Australian Securities Commission