Re: Latin vs. Germanic

Subject: Re: Latin vs. Germanic
From: Alexia Prendergast <alexiap -at- SEAGATESOFTWARE -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 1 Aug 1997 07:25:38 -0400

My argument is to be more precise... not to sound "schooled".
(I have no trouble using the word "book" ;)

Why should I use "click" when hardly anyone in my audience
(sys admins) uses the mouse? Besides, as I said before, you
don't click an option -- you click a mouse button (or use any
number of access methods) to select an option. That's awkward
and makes assumptions about how the user wants to select the
option, so I just use "select" instead. If my audience is
elementary or not familiar with a platform, I include a reference
section towards the end of the book that describes the different
ways to select an item.

On the other hand, if I was writing for a relatively unsophisticated
audience, I might feel justified to use "click" -- but I haven't

PS. I quit drinking caffiene yesterday, so if I seem especially
touchy or cranky, I'll apologize in advance ;)
Alexia Prendergast
Senior Technical Writer
Seagate Software