German/Latin Words

Subject: German/Latin Words
From: Tim Altom <taltom -at- IQUEST -dot- NET>
Date: Fri, 1 Aug 1997 10:09:22 -0500

If anybody's interested, there was an article a few years back in the
Journal entitled "Why We Use Big Words, An Historical Perspective" that
addressed the historical reasons for often preferring Latinate over
Anglo-Saxon. Don't remember the issue and it seems to have fled from my
collection. The STC database only seems to go back a year or so, and I
couldn't open the abstracts text file on the STC FTP site. Sorry, I tried to
get the citation.

Tim Altom
Vice President, Simply Written, Inc.
317.899.5882 (voice) 317.899.5987 (fax)