Re: IMI methodolgy

Subject: Re: IMI methodolgy
From: Lisa Higgins <lisarea -at- DRUAK -dot- DR -dot- LUCENT -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 1 Aug 1997 09:59:58 +0000

> I was told by the company that they had
> approached IMI once and were told that if IMI principles were followed in a
> document (like block lines, chunking, the 7+/-2 rules, etc.) that they
> would have to pay a royalty back to IMI.

WHOA! I hope this is a misunderstanding!

Unless you are actually using their template, I can't begin to
imagine how anyone could get away with copyrighting such basic
concepts. That would be like copyrighting a haircut or a gesture
or something.

On the off chance, though, I hereby call dibs on all of the
following:

* Sentences under ten words.
* Ragged right lines.
* The use of colons for introducing bulleted lists.
* Those fat lines at the top of the first page of a chapter.

Lisa, who also holds the patent on 'pockets.'
lhiggins -at- lucent -dot- com