Re: HTML editor recommendations

Subject: Re: HTML editor recommendations
From: Paul Fussell <pfussell -at- FORTE -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 4 Aug 1997 19:23:19 -0700

>>>At 12:30 AM -0700 8/4/97, A Watkins wrote:
>Last week, I asked for recommendations for HTML editors and for
>converters from both Frame and Word.
>I read the responses very carefully; some replies talked about
>experience with different programs
>but no recommendations. There was interest in the results, so
>here they are . . .
>
>for editor
>the clear-cut winner is HomeSite - with 7 votes
>second choice=MS FrontPage - with 4 votes for and 1 against

There's a comparison of web editors on the CNET site at
http://www.cnet.com/Content/Reviews/Compare/Htmleditors/index.html .
They tested the following editors:

HomeSite 2.5 [PC]
HoTMetaL Pro 3.0 [PC/Mac/Unix]
Web-It 2.2 [PC]
HotDog Pro 3.0 [PC]
WebEdit Pro 2.0 [PC]
Webber32 [PC]
Crackerjack [PC/Mac]
BBEdit 4.0.4 [Mac]
Alpha 6.5 [Mac]

They said that they didn't include pure wysiwyg editors because they
weren't sufficiently full-featured, and that if you're interested in
full-fledged site
management, to check out higher-end products like Microsoft's FrontPage,
NetObjects Fusion, and Corel's WebMaster Suite.

Editors and word processors are such a personal thing, it's hard to know if
a reviewer is testing for the same things you find important. In addition,
familiarity with the way an editor works can continue to make it easier for
you to use, even though another product might be preferable if you're
starting from scratch. With all that in mind, their recommendation was
WebEdit Pro. Their take on HomeSite was that it was a great deal when it
was cheaper, but now that it costs $79, there are better alternatives
available at that price.

--Paul
pfussell -at- forte -dot- com