Re: Brackets

Subject: Re: Brackets
From: "Parks, Beverly" <ParksB -at- EMH1 -dot- HQISEC -dot- ARMY -dot- MIL>
Date: Wed, 6 Aug 1997 07:48:21 -0700

When I was younger, we used to call the curly brackets "Bob Hopes"
because they sort of resemble his profile. Especially when hand-drawn.

Bev Parks
parksb -at- emh1 -dot- hqisec -dot- army -dot- mil
The Friendly Faces of TECHWR-L -

>From: Wing, Michael J[SMTP:mjwing -at- INGR -dot- COM]
>I never knew what to call { curly brackets}. I always called them
>wacky brackets.
>Mike Wing
>> Peter Ekstedt (ekstedtp -at- anz -dot- com) asked:
>> What are the correct names for the following?
>> 1. [square brackets]
>> 2. {curly brackets}
>> 3. (common or garden variety brackets)
>> Everyone in my office, including myself, thinks that (common or garden
>> variety brackets) are called parentheses. What about the others?
>> ************

TECHWR-L (Technical Communication) List Information: To send a message
to 2500+ readers, e-mail to TECHWR-L -at- LISTSERV -dot- OKSTATE -dot- EDU -dot- Send commands
Search the archives at or search and
browse the archives at

Previous by Author: Re: Bomb Threats
Next by Author: Re: Mission Statements
Previous by Thread: Re: Brackets
Next by Thread: ref: Documentation Management

What this post helpful? Share it with friends and colleagues:

Sponsored Ads