Results: Brackets

Subject: Results: Brackets
From: "Ekstedt, Peter (GP)" <EKSTEDTP -at- ANZ -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 7 Aug 1997 11:22:00 +1000

Thank you to everyone who replied to my query about brackets. Here are
the correct formal names:

1. [ ] = brackets or square brackets
2. { } = braces
3. ( ) = parentheses

Respondents provided the following references:

Merriam Webster Dictionary (USA)
American Heritage Dictionary (USA)
The Chicago Manual of Style (USA)
The AGPS Style Guide (Australia)

Some respondents pointed out the differences between "formal names" and
"common usage". Referring specifically to British usage, one respondent
wrote:

>In British usage "brackets" without further qualification usually means ( ).
>The others are square and curly brackets.

Several American respondents described the same pattern of general
usage. I can confirm that general usage in Australia also matches this
pattern. However, The AGPS Style Guide (the Australian equivalent of The
Chicago Manual of Style) confirms the formal names at the top of this
message.

Regards,
Peter Ekstedt
ekstedtp -at- anz -dot- com