Re: .jpg Image Files

Subject: Re: .jpg Image Files
From: Matt Ion <soundy -at- ROGERS -dot- WAVE -dot- CA>
Date: Thu, 7 Aug 1997 17:05:18 -0800

On Thu, 7 Aug 1997 14:47:00 PDT, Falk, Tony wrote:

>My only thought on the use of jpeg/jpg files for graphics is this:
> "Jpegs are great compact image files, however, they achieve that size
>through compression. Compression will cost you quality in your image.

A dangerous over-generalized statement. More accurately, JPEGs achieve
their particularly small size through lossy compression. Lossy
compression certainly will cost you iamge quality (as the very name
suggests). "Compression" in general will not.

Your friend and mine,
Matt
<insert standard disclaimer here>