Re: Using capital letters

Subject: Re: Using capital letters
From: Bill Burns <BillDB -at- ILE -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 8 Aug 1997 09:43:22 -0600

To the new technical writer, these may be key words. To a user who
doesn't understand the relevance of the capitalized terms, this usage
might just look like poor writing convention. And you're correct about
the localization issues involved in this practice. Capitalizing Window,
field, and dialog names is a pretty standard software documentation
convention, but I haven't seen this convention practiced consistently in
hardware documentation, especially since components on hardware are not
labeled as consistently as software interface elements. In any case,
capitalizing "red" makes no sense since its a modifier and not a proper
noun.

I bet she can't come up with a single styleguide that supports this
practice.

Bill Burns
Technical Writer
ILE Communications Group