Re: Mission Statements

Subject: Re: Mission Statements
From: Bob Morrisette <Robert -dot- Morrisette -at- ENG -dot- SUN -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 8 Aug 1997 13:50:34 -0700

> From kdalt -at- MICRON -dot- COM Fri Aug 8 10:01:39 1997
> Date: Fri, 8 Aug 1997 11:03:02 -0600
> From: Kari Alt <kdalt -at- MICRON -dot- COM>
> Subject: Mission Statements
> To: TECHWR-L -at- LISTSERV -dot- OKSTATE -dot- EDU
>
> Hello-
> My Technical Communications group is in the process of developing a
> mission statement--I searched the archives and found only a few
> references to M.S--so I am curious if any of you out there would like to
> share your mission statements or give me some ideas on what should be
> included. Any input would be greatly appreciated. You can reply to me
> off-line.
> Thank You,
> Kari D. Alt
> Micron CMS
> kdalt -at- micron -dot- com
> Disclaimer: Speaking for myself, not Micron

My advice about a mission statement is to forget it. I've spent
many hours in meeting rooms at several companies creating mission
statements. Management only asks for these because it is one
of the buzz phrases. After many drafts and approvals up and down
the chain, the mission statement will be filed away and everyone
will forget about it until a new manager comes in and says,
"I think we should start working on a mission statement."

Sorry to be so negative, but the ms is one of my sore points.

Bob Morrisette
writer1 -at- Eng -dot- sun -dot- com