Off Topic: Question About Technical Communication

Subject: Off Topic: Question About Technical Communication
From: Stuart Burnfield <slb -at- FS -dot- COM -dot- AU>
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 1997 14:28:07 +0800

Sorry this has nothing to do with Texas, but I'm thinking of buying
two books by William Horton: 'Illustrating Computer Documentation',
and 'Designing and Writing Online Documentation'. I'd like to know
whether you'd recommend these or some other books.

First, I'd like to do better diagrams and illustrations. Thinking
visually doesn't come gracefully to me -- my natural impulse is to
go for the thousand words rather than the picture.

Second, I'd like to learn general principles of online help and online
documentation. I don't do Windows, so a WinHelp-specific book is no
good to me unless it also happens to be the best source of universal
priniciples.

Are Horton's books a good choice?

Thanks
---
Stuart Burnfield "A dog don't fly, a bird don't bark
Functional Software Pty Ltd So which is better, a poodle or a lark?"
mailto:slb -at- fs -dot- com -dot- au -- Peggy Seeger 'Different Therefore Equal'