TechWhirl (TECHWR-L) is a resource for technical writing and technical communications professionals of all experience levels and in all industries to share their experiences and acquire information.
For two decades, technical communicators have turned to TechWhirl to ask and answer questions about the always-changing world of technical communications, such as tools, skills, career paths, methodologies, and emerging industries. The TechWhirl Archives and magazine, created for, by and about technical writers, offer a wealth of knowledge to everyone with an interest in any aspect of technical communications.
Subject:F/T Tech Writer in Bethesda MD From:Dan Everman <mail33028 -at- POP -dot- NET> Date:Fri, 15 Aug 1997 03:00:57 -0400
Wellspring Resources in Bethesda MD has an immediate need for a Sr. Tech
Writer meeting the description below. We are looking for local
applicants (no relocation paid for this position).
Wellspring is a human resources/benefits outsourcing firm for Fortune
500 companies. We have main offices in Bethesda and Jacksonville, FL,
with about 700 employee spread around. We are small but growing and
I am the hiring manager. Resumes can come to me, or to the addresses
below. We need someone immediately.
Dan_Everman -at- wellspringres -dot- com
TITLE: Senior Technical Writer
Permanent, full-time Start Date: ASAP
Team Name: Documentation
Hiring Manager: Dan Everman
DESCRIPTION: For present and future clients, write and implement
event-driven on-line Help systems in a PowerBuilder / NT 4.0
environment, and create and maintain other documentation as needed (e.g.
User's Guides, Installation Guides, technical documentation, training
materials, Intranet/Internet content, etc.).
* Work with a distributed documentation team using RoboHelp, internal
authoring tools, and various utilities and graphics packages
* Serve as component owner/project manager for client Help projects as
* Gather information through interviews, hands-on software use, and
* Perform internal unit testing and editing of Help files
* Occasionally travel to Jacksonville, FL for research and training
MINIMUM QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS:
* B.A./B.S degree in Technical Writing, English, or Journalism; or,
Computer Science with extensive writing experience
* 4 - 5 years experience writing user documentation, on-line Help
* 2 years experience with RoboHelp and WinHelp Office tools; RBH 4.0
* Project management skills
* Advanced Microsoft Word proficiency, including use of style templates
and automation features (field codes, cross-references, indexes,
understanding of macros).
* Strong PC skills, including proficiency with Windows NT 4.0.
* Familiarity with Microsoft Help Workshop, ASCII text editors, simple
graphics editors (e.g. Paint Shop Pro)
* Basic understanding of database technology, programming theory, HTML
* PowerBuilder familiarity a plus
* Programming skills a plus
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
* Interview subject matter experts
* Outline, write, edit, proofread, and distribute documentation
* Coordinate and conduct reviews and walkthroughs
* Follow and help develop corporate writing standards
* Debug and unit test Help files
* Follow configuration management procedures
Attn: HR Staffing
Wellspring Resources, LLC
6600 Rockledge Dr., Suite 600
Bethesda MD 20817
* Fax (Attn: Dan Everman) 301-581-5800
* Phone 301-581-5100
* ASCII resumes can go to HR at dcjobs -at- wellspringres -dot- com
* More company information at http://www.wellspringres.com