Re: Carpal Tunnel Syndrome

Subject: Re: Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
From: Alexia Prendergast <alexiap -at- SEAGATESOFTWARE -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 1997 11:11:19 -0400

Hi, all,

I'm just back from vacation and am jumping in mid-thread -- hope I don't
repeat
what someone else has said.

I had nasty CTS problems -- tried a split keyboard and it gave me some
relief, but
not much. Was in steel splints 24-hours a day. (Try sleeping in those
things without
knocking yourself in the head!)

I tried lots of different solutions, but the answer for me was a Kinesis
keyboard. You can
find a picture of it on the web -- they provide some typing exercises
that help you adjust
pretty quickly. Now, not only can I type faster than I ever could
before, my hands actually
feel *better* every time I use it. (I got the standard QWERTY layout,
but you can also get the
DVORAK. You can also get foot pedals, alternative pointing devices, etc.
You can program
your own keyboard shortcuts, which is great. In fact, you can completely
reprogram and
rearrange keys to customize the keyboard. It's a PC keyboard, but Mac
and UNIX adapters
are available. I've used the keyboard with a Sparc 5 and use it now with
a PC.)

I think the next thing I'll get is a glide point to replace my mouse.

Anyway, within a few weeks, I was pain-and-splint-free, and in the past
2 years, the pain has
not returned.

A.
--