Tech Writers As Trainers

Subject: Tech Writers As Trainers
From: Kathy Marshall <kmarshall -at- MODACAD -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 1997 12:47:20 -0700

I need some advice. I might have an opportunity to write training
materials for one of our new products. This is a first, since currently
our trainers write their own materials, without any adherence to style
guidelines, consistency, etc. In fact, we don't have any official
training doc -- it's all on a per-client basis.

So when I am approached about writing these training materials, I want
to also suggest I assist with the training. Is this so unusual? How many
of your techwhirlers are involved in training? To me, it makes so much
sense. Next to the programmers, I know our software inside and out.
Heck, I've written about it and know where to find everything in the
manuals! Can you believe some of our trainers didn't even know we had
online help? Another was assisting a client with a tech support problem,
and didn't realize the solution was clearly covered in a troubleshooting
section of the manual. (No one ever reads the manuals!!...ah, story of
my life.)

Any advice on how I can convince my boss to let me be a part of this?
(By the way, I _have_ the time and I think it would be an exciting and
fun opportunity.)

TIA,
Kathy

Kathryn Marshall