Re: Help needed for Damage Control - LONG

Subject: Re: Help needed for Damage Control - LONG
From: John Posada <JOHN -dot- POSADA -at- EY -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 1997 16:31:35 -0400

I agree that my response might have been a little on the callous side, and for
that I appologize...alittlebit.

However, if we, as tech writers want to be considered professionals, along with
that desire comes the responsibility to manage the project they are on. Even
if you aren't a manager with management responsibilities, we still have the
obligation to watch our projects, know when something is heading toward blowing
up before it does, and to bring it to our management's attention FAST so they
can act on it as quickly as possible.

If you (collective) have the experience to be working at that level, then
you've developed the ability to get a hunch that something is going astray and
if you don't have that kind of experience to begin with, then nobody is going
to take your suggestions/alerts seriously anyway.

In all reality, a project that far gone, with such a little amount of time to
repair isn't going to be repaired anyway. Take it as a learning episode, and
be more wary next time. What will happen is that your efforts will be
ineffective, and you will be remembered as the person that was unable to
accomplish what you tried to accomplish. You cannot always fix everything.

John Posada
Ernst & Young
Tactical Applications Group
Lyndhurst, NJ
john -dot- posada -at- ey -dot- com (work)
john -at- tdandw -dot- com (personal)
http://www.ey.com (work)
http://www.tdandw.com (personal)
(201) 842-2699

"My friends, no matter how rough the road may be, we can and we will never,
never surrender to what is right."
- Vice President Dan Quayle 11/15/91