Registry backup

Subject: Registry backup
From: Buck & Tilly Buchanan <writer -at- WF -dot- NET>
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 1997 16:38:44 -0500

s (all we use are styles). we dropped back to word 95 and it all
> works fine. we also found that word 97 may have corrupted our registry (eek!)
> files.

I put this little routine on the list once before, but here 'tis again.

Despite some advice I've seen on this list saying it's not necessary to
back up your registry, do it once each week or before making a change to
your system. It will eventually get you out of a jam. Windows backs up
the registry on each shutdown, but if you have software that has damaged
the .dat files, you will have two damsged copies.

Boot to DOS (Not a DOS window)
;; to do this, press F8 while the cursor is flashing on boot-up (OEM
systems) or while you see "starting windows" (clones). Select "start
computer in MS-Dos mode."

Type:
cd\windows
;; changes to Windows dir.

Type:
attrib system.dat -h -r -s
;; turns off the attributes for system part of registry.

Type:
attrib user.dat -h -r -s
;; same for user part of registry.

Type:
md registry
;; to make a c:\windows\registry directory for your backup.

Type:
copy system.dat c:\windows\registry
copy user.dat c:\windows\registry
;; to copy your good registry to the backup directory

Type:
attrib system.dat +h +r +s
;; to turn the attributes back on for system part of registry

Type:
attrib user.dat +h +r +s
;; to turn on attributes for user part of registry

You now have a backup. If you need to use it, turn the attributes off
to the same files in c:\windows, then copy c:\windows\registry\*.dat
back to c:\windows

Restart the computer.

If you do this, some day you'll thank me and my Developing Windows 95
Instructor, Don (Bull) Dozier.
--

Buck Buchanan
writer -at- wf -dot- net