Re: Use of trademark symbol - HELP!

Subject: Re: Use of trademark symbol - HELP!
From: Peggy Schillinger <peggys -at- STLNET -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 1997 15:36:11 -0500

Jim VanWinkle wrote:

> Can anyone provide an argument besides "This is the way it's normally
> done"
> or "Other clients have had their attorneys review this style before
> and they
> have had no problems with it?"

I have provided a link that accessed the legal information, and that has
been satisfactory to the client. Why don't you look at other Web sites
and see how other companies have handled this problem? Even MicroSoft
doesn't add a copyright note to every mention.

FWIW, I saw some corporate lawyers back down when faced by a product
manager who didn't want to clutter printed material with incessant
legalese. In this case, the lawyers wanted copyright on every mention in
a user manual.

Regards....Peggy Schillinger
Peggy Schillinger peggys -at- stlnet -dot- com
Computer Software Technical Writer 314-569-9495 (V)
Co-President, STC St. Louis (MO) 314-994-1905 (F)

"I began to develop a firm conviction that most efforts to
teach people things were wasted. All they needed was to
go off some place quiet and read." ---Richard Russo