Advice on printing in England and The Netherlands?

Subject: Advice on printing in England and The Netherlands?
From: Jan Stanley <jstanley -at- ROADSHOW -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 1997 14:25:02 -0400

TO: TECHWR-L -at- LISTSERV -dot- OKSTATE -dot- EDU

I'm trying to figure out the best way to get printed, bound manuals for
our next software release (December) to my company's offices in
Nottingham, England, and Nieuwegein, The Netherlands. (As far as I can
make out, previous documentation has been distributed as Word files, with
customers left on their own to print them out and stick the docs in
3-ring binders. We'd now like to distribute something that looks more
like commercial documentation--say, 7" by 9" perfect-bound books.)

So far I've come up with two options:

Option 1--get all the books printed and bound in the U.S. (I'm in the
Washington, D.C. area), then ship several hundred copies to the other two
offices. Advantage: seems like it would be easier to deal with only one
print vendor. Disadvantages: shipping cost; shipping time (I'd like to
have every possible second to work on the text).

Option 2--find printers in Nottingham and Nieuwegein who can Docutech the
text and bind the books (don't know yet whether I'd send them printed
covers or have them do the covers) and deliver them directly to my
company's offices. Advantages: savings on shipping; possibly more time
to work on the text. Disadvantages: seems like ensuring quality control
would be mighty tricky.

Can anyone--
recommend printers in Nottingham or Nieuwegein?
offer advice about doing this sort of long-distance printing?
suggest other options?

Please note: I'm not talking about translation or localization issues;
the manuals sent to both locations will have exactly the same text. I'm
also not looking for info on electronic distribution...that's another
topic, which I'll think about tomorrow! ;-)

Please reply to me directly, rather than to the list--I'm on digest.

Many thanks.

Jan
Jan Stanley
Senior-and-Only Technical Writer