Copyrighted Icons Questions

Subject: Copyrighted Icons Questions
From: Reid Rogers <reid_rogers -at- KEYVISION -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 1997 16:53:27 -0400

As far as using someone else's icons in an application, book, online
help, etc., I have a question: We would like to use the Text and Binary
icons that distinguish Value Data in the Windows 95 and NT Registry
editors, RegEdit and RegEdit32 in our application, but don't know if
they are copyrighted or not. Does anybody know the rules on this? Where
to go to ask? etc...

I know that we couldn't use someone else's Application Icons-Microsoft
Word's W icon, for example-but for icons that represent a standard
Windows data type (text and binary), which I have seen used in various
software, I'm not sure.

Reid Rogers
IntraSoft, Inc.
reid_rogers -at- KeyVision -dot- com
rlrogers -at- unity -dot- ncsu -dot- edu