Migrating from Word 97 to FrameMaker 5.5 (and back); Macs and PC's

Subject: Migrating from Word 97 to FrameMaker 5.5 (and back); Macs and PC's
From: Harrison Brace <hbrace -at- AIMQUEST -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 2 Sep 1997 10:34:00 -0700

As a result of the recent problems in my office, I may have a chance to get
a new computer and also to have my choice of authoring environments.

As have had so many problems with Word 97, I have suggested that the
company buy one license for FrameMaker, which I alone would use. I am
hoping that it will not be much of a problem for me to convert my documents
to Word 97 format when others want to use them. Anyone have any experience
working with both Word 97 and FrameMaker? Does this introduce more problems
than it solves?

Also, I'd like to replace my antiquated PC with a Mac--in spite of all the
problems Apple is now having. I've seen many studies indicating that mixing
Macs and PC's is no more expensive to support than a PC-only environment,
and that "content creators" are on average $23,000 more productive per year
using a Mac. (Well, we all know how dubious these statistics can be, but I
think there is something to this.) It may be a difficult case to make,
however, giving Apple's current PR problems.

Thanks for any suggestions about these issues...

Harrison
hbrace -at- aimquest -dot- com