Indexing macro

Subject: Indexing macro
From: JIMCHEVAL -at- AOL -dot- COM
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 1997 03:04:45 -0400

I seem to have deleted someone's query concerning my macro which reformatted
a table of contents into an index. The gist of it was: did I just use that
as a starting point or was it a (dubious) shortcut?

In fact, the original macro was pretty much the latter. The index in this
case was done as much for political reasons as anything else, and an index
which was really a keyword alphabetization of the TOC did fine ["DEPARTMENTAL
ACHIEVEMENTS FOR MAY: #3 - Produced 100 page manual with detailed index"]. I
have however encountered commercially published indexes which are no
finer-tuned than this, so my writerly conscience has failed to surround my
sleeping form with the accusing visages of my abused readership.

Later the macro was enhanced to insert index fields for specific references,
allowing an actual Word index to be produced. Still later, it was modified
to create all permutations of chapter heads ("Producing GL Reports", "GL
Reports, Producing", "Reports, Producing GL"), thus allowing an editor to
more rapidly define index entries.

I neglected to mention, by the way, my *Auto-Editor* macro. (I really did
write one.)

Effigies available for burning....

Jim C.