Re: Name of | symbol: thanks!

Subject: Re: Name of | symbol: thanks!
From: Kris Olberg <kjolberg -at- IX -dot- NETCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 1997 16:04:55 -0500

----------
> From: Percy G.F. Balemans <Percy_Balemans -at- INFORMAAT -dot- NL>
> To: TECHWR-L -at- LISTSERV -dot- OKSTATE -dot- EDU
> Subject: Name of | symbol: thanks!
> Date: Tuesday, September 02, 1997 4:12 PM
>
> Thanks everybody for your answers!
>
> To summarize: the | symbol is called the 'pipe symbol' in UNIX. For
general
> use, most people suggested 'vertical bar' which seems to be the most
> appropriate term in my text.

Percy, I'm a stickler for details. Your summary of what the | symbol is
called is not a summary. In my post on the subject, I mentioned the use of
the pipe in the context of DOS.

A reminder to all on the list: if you're going to summarize, be accurate.
The quality of the content on this list depends on it.

Regards...Kris