Page problem with Schriver's book

Subject: Page problem with Schriver's book
From: Karen Schriver <ks0e+ -at- ANDREW -dot- CMU -dot- EDU>
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 1997 12:28:32 -0400

Hi Folks,

Thanks so much to those of you who brought to my attention a problem
with the pagination of the second printing of my book Dynamics in
Document Design. I had no idea of this problem because as Sella Rush
mentioned in an earlier post, the second printing was shipped to
bookstores before I ever saw it. Sigh....

I informed my publisher (Wiley) of the error and requested immediate
action. My editor traced the problem to the printer where apparently the
book's impositions got mixed up for the first 30 pages or so. Wiley is
recalling the entire run for the second printing and will generate a new
version this month. The new printing should be ready by early October in
time for this years' IEEE/SIGDOC meetings in Snowbird, Utah. I am very
sorry if you purchased a book with random pagination and hope you'll see
that it was not my fault, and in fact, the production process was
completely out of my control. (I hoped for a book that promoted rapid
access and so indexed it exhaustively, provided cross-references, and
employed navigational aids. But making sense of randomly ordered pages
isn't a task I planned for...) I hope you will understand my dilemma as
a new author who had no say about anything once I turned in my Pagemaker
files. If it were not for the kind people on this list, I wouldn't even
know there was a problem as I still do not have a copy of the second
printing myself....

I have been promised that everyone who purchased a copy with the
printer's errors can get a new one at Wiley's expense as soon as the new
run is ready.

Thanks a lot for your patience and especially for listening.

karen schriver
KSA, Document Design and Research