Re: Analyzing Word Styles

Subject: Re: Analyzing Word Styles
From: John -dot- Cornellier -at- PARIS -dot- IE -dot- PHILIPS -dot- COM
Date: Tue, 9 Sep 1997 15:26:22 +0200

I have a sort-of answer.

1. From the file menu, choose Print.

2. In the Print dialog box, select styles in the Print What combo box.

3. Define the print job as usual, and click OK.

4. Extend your left leg, walk to the printer....

You get a hardcopy list of all the styles _used in the open document_ - but not
all the styles in the doc template. To do that open the template and repeat the
above procedure.

A way to compare the styles in 2 docs onscreen is to use the Template organiser.
From the File menu choose Templates, then click Organizer. You can open two docs
and look through the styles, copy, rename, delete, stuff like that.

This maintaining of consistency in templates and styles is a real old chestnut.
I'm working on a macro to go through a doc and check whether any unwanted styles
are in use, delete them from the template, then remap the affected text.

In the meantime I password-protect the templates, so that changes cannot be made
to styles, new styles cannot be added, and so on. Otherwise writers personalise
each doc. Not that I'm trying to stamp out creativity, but changes have to be
made by consensus, periodically, globally, and all that.

mailto:john -dot- cornellier -at- paris -dot- ie -dot- philips -dot- com