Academic careers vs. technical writing

Subject: Academic careers vs. technical writing
From: Chaim Chatan <chatan -at- IDI -dot- ORG -dot- IL>
Date: Tue, 9 Sep 1997 16:38:22 +0300

I an very new to the list. When I got on, there was a discussion going on
about leaving academic careers in favor of technical writing. I am in that
situation right now. I was an assistant professor of political science at
Chestnut Hill College in Philadelphia, but I was denied tenure by the
President of the college, overruling the recommendation of the Promotion and
Tenure committee in my favor. In 1995, my wife and I emigrated to Israel,
but I could not find a decent job in the political science field. The best
that I was able to find was a part-time abstractor job in an Israeli
political think tank. I took a course in technical writing that was offered
locally, and one year after the classes were over, I found a part-time job
as a technical editor. I was caught in the classical job hunting Catch-22
situation (can't find a job without experience, can't get experience without
a job).

One of the most heart-wrenching things that I have to deal with is the
prospect that I may have to leave my love of the political science
discipline behind. From the course that I took, I do feel that I may enjoy
technical writing, but I find it hard to give up political science.

I have a related question--just how does a liberal arts person break into
technical writing? Every employer seems to want a technical background.
Well, I took some computer courses in addition to the technical writing
course, but that does not seem to be enough. Also, what is the demand for
technical writers in the United States, and in which regions of the United
States is the demand most pressing?

I am willing to hear ideas and experiences both on and off list, especially
from former liberal arts people who are now in technical writing.