Ugly screens in PDF format

Subject: Ugly screens in PDF format
From: Nanette Luoma Andrusiak <nluoma -at- AMERITECH -dot- NET>
Date: Tue, 9 Sep 1997 16:25:18 -0400

Kathy Ellis wrote:

> Well, I took everyone's advice and bought Acrobat. It's great fun to work
> with, but I'm
> having a real problem with grayscale bitmaps of our screen shots. They print
> and
> display well in Word 6, but when I convert them to the PDF format, they only
> display
> well at about 200% and they lose information when they print. (Screen shots
> of menu
> items are not readable. You can't make out the writing!) I've tried to
> change the compression
> settings in Distiller, but I don't see any difference --even with the
> compression turned off.

I had a similar problem converting newsletters from Quark to PDF.
Sometimes I found the solution was to simply reconvert the page to PDF.
For some reason re-doing the process with a single page occasionally
fixed the problem. When I contacted Adobe, they were unable to give me
any solutions, so if anyone out there knows what causes this, or how to
fix it, I'd also love to know!
Nanette