Re: What does a tech writer do? (fwd)

Subject: Re: What does a tech writer do? (fwd)
From: Betsy Perry <betsyp -at- VNET -dot- NET>
Date: Tue, 9 Sep 1997 17:10:42 -0400

Larry Weber commented,
------- start of forwarded message -------

Mostly, we decipher and spruce up information generated by programmers
and marketing people.

----- end of forwarded message -----

I think this varies widely by company. In my 15-year career, I have
very rarely had written source material from either the engineers or
the marketing people. Most of the time, the "information" I had was
the source code and, if I was very lucky, the running product. I can
think of a a few occasions on which I rewrote existing marketing or
programming documents, but even then the bulk of the final document
was original work. (Yes, I rewrote other writers' work when
revising existing documents, but that's a different issue.)

I'm curious: how do the rest of you work?

Betsy Hanes Perry
--
Elizabeth Hanes Perry betsyp -at- vnet -dot- net