Web Authoring Tools

Subject: Web Authoring Tools
From: "George F. Hayhoe" <george -at- GHAYHOE -dot- COM>
Date: Sat, 13 Sep 1997 11:53:42 -0400

Until recently, I've been handcoding Web pages. Since I learned
word-processing on a mainframe by embedding codes, this wasn't a
big deal, and a few macros to build tables and such have served
me pretty well.

Now, though, I need to distribute a number of built-for-paper
docs via the Web, and I'm looking for a tool that will convert
my MS Word styles to HTML tags.

It would be logical for MS Word's Save As HTML should do this,
but Microsoft apparently knows its users far better than we
usually give them credit for. Only a tiny fraction of Word users
(probably only us professional communicators!) use styles, so
instead of converting tags, Word's Save As HTML command
reproduces the look of the paper document. Microsoft's FrontPage
does the same thing.

Fine, you say. But the purist in me wants the HTML code to
reflect a document's heading hierarchies and other structural
elements, not just the appearance of the paper doc.

Does anyone know of a tool that will translate Word styles to
HTML tags? Please respond to me offline, and I'll post a summary
to the list.

--George Hayhoe (george -at- ghayhoe -dot- com)

George Hayhoe Associates
Voice: +1 803-642-2156
Fax: +1 803-642-9325
Award-winning Web site: http://www.ghayhoe.com