Re: Pet Peeve Words, a rebuttal?

Subject: Re: Pet Peeve Words, a rebuttal?
From: "Paul C. Nendick" <pauly -at- ENTERACT -dot- COM>
Date: Sat, 13 Sep 1997 21:09:04 -0500

I more or less quote the Webster English Dictionary, Amen.

Irony \I"ron*y\
------
n.[L. ironia, Gr. ? dissimulation, fr. ? a dissembler in speech, fr.
=? to speak; perh. akin to E. word: cf. F. ironie.]
1. Dissimulation; ignorance feigned for the purpose of confounding or
provoking an antagonist.
2. A sort of humor, ridicule, or light sarcasm, which adopts a mode of
speech the meaning of which is contrary to the literal sense of the
words.

Ironic
-------
Pertaining, containing, expressing, or characterized by irony.

I claim many writers misuse 'irony/ironic' when 'coincidental'
or another word would be more precise.

Example:
"In a ironic twist of fate, a woman was killed today when a car
driven by her fiancé plummeted from a cliff onto her bungalow
where she was cheating on him with his best friend."

...which may better be expressed by...

"By tragic coincidence, a woman was killed today when a car
driven by her fiancé plummeted from a cliff onto her bungalow where
she was cheating on him with his best friend."

Note: This is not an invitation to debate the use of the word tragic.

You won't be misunderstood by a literate individual like myself if
you realize that what is considered a 'working' definition of a word
is not always that word's correct definition.

--
Paul C. Nendick
Freelance Technical Writer