Re: PC TECH question: floppy net obsolete?

Subject: Re: PC TECH question: floppy net obsolete?
From: Matt Ion <soundy -at- ROGERS -dot- WAVE -dot- CA>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 1997 07:58:35 -0800

On Mon, 15 Sep 1997 15:30:51 +0200, John -dot- Cornellier -at- PARIS -dot- IE -dot- PHILIPS -dot- COM
wrote:

>Q: Anybody using ZIP drives, portable hard drives, streamers and such things?

Extensively.

>Background: I must move 10s of MBs of files, most of which are too big to fit on
>a single floppy, between home and work. Peer to peer on the PSTN is an option
>but not terribly practical at 8MB per hour. Ditto internet email.

Indeed. By the time the download finishes, it's time to go back to work
again :-)

>I try to use PKZIP with spanning, but more often than not it fails on one of the
>floppies, with no recovery option. Scandisk finds no physical errors. Is it me,
>or is there a better software for multifloppy archiving?

Any decent backup package will support floppies, as a legacy issue if
nothing else. Most can also perform a verify operation, although that
may require you to shuffle the backup set through the drive again once
the initial backup is done.

>A portable HD could have three uses: portability, archiving, and backup. A
>second internal HD could do the latter two.

Right.

Look into a ZIP drive or two. They're well under CDN$200 these days.
The parallel-port version is infinitely convenient, because you can take
the drive itself with you and plug it in to any PC with a printer port.
Run the included GUEST utility, and the drive is accessible - no need to
install drivers and/or reboot. GUEST does exactly what the name
suggests: makes the drive a guest, a temporary "visitor", on the system.

If you really want to get fancy about it, you can also add an internal
SCSI- or IDE-based ZIP drive to your own machine; these have somewhat
faster transfer rates than the parallel-port version, and then you always
have it there.

Your friend and mine,
Matt
<insert standard disclaimer here>