Researching Methods

Subject: Researching Methods
From: Nanette Luoma Andrusiak <nluoma -at- AMERITECH -dot- NET>
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 1997 09:09:36 -0400

I apologize ahead of time if this is not an appropriate question for
this list, but research seems to be a big part of my work in tech
writing! Please redirect me if I'm asking in the wrong list...

I am working on a new manual and before it is written, I need to do some
research of computer users. I have several options available, but I'm
concerned about the reliability of the results.

I need to survey computer users who operate small businesses out of
their homes. I have identified several web sites that are willing to
help me contact these users in order to survey them. My options are:

1. I can provide all readers of the web page with the URL to a survey
that can be completed and submitted to me.

2. I can request all readers of the web page to reply via email if they
would be interested in taking my survey, then email them the URL of the
survey page.

3. I can request all interested readers to contact me via email, then
mail the survey to them via snail mail.

I do request name, address, and type of business, but I am concerned
about how accurate my results will be. Option 1 is clearly the least
reliable, while option 3 is the most. However, option 3 is quite
expensive as I must provide printed letters, surveys, and postage both
ways.

Has anyone else done similar research or read any studies on similar
research? I'd appreciate any advice or information.