Petronius

Subject: Petronius
From: Beth Friedman <bjf -at- WAVEFRONT -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 1997 08:09:34 -0500

In our previous episode, Damien Braniff said:
> And to finish, a quote from Gaius Petronius (AD66):
>
> "We trained hard, but it seemed that every time we were beginning to form
> up into teams we would be re-organised. I was to learn later in life that
> we tend to meet any new situation by re-organising, and a wonderful method
> it can be for creatign the illusion of progress, while producing confusion,
> inefficiency and demoralisation"
>
> Sound familiar to anyone?!!

This is an urban legend. As far as I can tell (and I did a reasonable
amount of research), Gaius Petronius (Petronius Arbiter) never said
any such thing.

The original source appears to be the book UP THE ORGANIZATION. I
don't know if the author was actually misled, or if he made it up out
of whole cloth.