Re: Improper Terminology

Subject: Re: Improper Terminology
From: JIMCHEVAL -at- AOL -dot- COM
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 1997 18:04:39 -0400

In a message dated 97-09-17 17:36:30 EDT, halw -at- NETVISION -dot- NET -dot- IL writes:

<< Given the understandable sensitivity to the master/slave analogy,
perhaps primary/secondary would be more appropriate. >>
Facilitator/participant? Guru/disciple? Guide/tourist?

'Gay' and 'abort' both have political overtones, but both are also neutral
terms in and of themselves, no? Does NASA not still abort missions?

Pregnancies are also 'terminated'. Is that taboo yet?

Anyway, now that we've started, when do we get to 'male/female' connectors?
How about 'kill', which I believe is used both on switches and in certain
computer languages? And how do entomologists feel about the innocent objects
of their studies being blamed for computer malfunctions?

I'm reminded of a man I saw once reading his own translations of the Psalms.
He'd decided some of the originals were too violent, so - he changed them.

Last I heard, though, the originals were intact. And after twenty some years
of trying to fine-tune language to change people's attitudes, I'm not sure
any of this has made one whit of difference. Except to satirists.

Jim C.
Los Angeles