More On Master/Slave, Abort, etc.

Subject: More On Master/Slave, Abort, etc.
From: Carl Millholland <millholland -at- ACRONET -dot- NET>
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 1997 18:46:55 -0500

Regarding the lamentations of some subscribers that avoiding possibly
offensive words such as master, slave and abort reduces the English
language: Were I to pen a novel, such words would certainly be
candidates for usage, as in, say, "She became a slave to her own
most secret desires."

But I'm not writing a novel. My subject matter a couple chunks of
compiled computer code. Now my creative challange is to see how
well I can translate these ideas into something meaningful
and inoffensive. That, to me, is where lies the poetry in technical
writing.

Carl Millholland
Technical Publishing Services
millholland -at- acronet -dot- net