Xenophobia

Subject: Xenophobia
From: Buck & Tilly Buchanan <writer -at- WF -dot- NET>
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 1997 06:05:05 -0500

Alexia Prendergast wrote:

> Hi, all,
>
> I've gotten more responses than I expected so far about the
> proposed International Technical Writers Group (ITWG)! This
> is great!
>
> I've also had some folks ask some very good questions. I'm
> working on a beta release this weekend (an exciting Saturday
> night ;-), but wanted to briefly address some of the questions.
>
> 1. "Reading the description, I don't see anything we can't do from
> within the STC...." and "One question that any such organization
> will have to repeated answer [implicitly or explicitly] is 'What will
> this group do that the STC's International Communication SIG...
> cannot do -- or do as well.' What's your take on that?"
>
> I'm a member of the STC and definitely feel like I get my money's
> worth. However, not everyone is a member of the STC. The ITWG
> is available to anyone. Also, the STC can't do *everything* --
> they simply don't have the time or resources. Maybe ITWG and
> STC can complement each other by working on different projects
> rather than trying to duplicate work? What do you all think?
>
> 2. "I wonder whether Alexia and others are aware of a group that has
> existed for many years called INTECOM (International Council of
> Technical Communication). INTECOM is, for lack of a better analogy,
> like a United Nations of technical communication organizations
> worldwide. The STC is a member, as are many other technical
> communication organizations from many other countries. Alexia's
> proposed charter is strikingly similar to that of INTECOM, which
> leads me to wonder whether it might be more useful to merge your
> energies with an already established group to make it better??"
>
> No, I wasn't aware of it, actually. (Which makes me wonder "Why not?
> I'm fairly tuned in.") I'll answer the question with a question to the
> folks
> who are interested in participating -- how should we distinguish
> ourselves?
> (Sounds like we might want to eventually be a member of INTECOM?)
> Again, can't we compliment them? Or would it not make sense?
>
> 3. "As I read the "Our plans",it's a strong to-do list."
>
> Yes, it is -- and even I'm not so ambitious that I suggest we do
> everything right away ;-) These are ideas that Alessandro and I
> came up with and are definitely subject to change, depending
> on how practical they are, what's already been done, and which
> items have a higher priority. These are all things for the group
> to discuss and decide.
>
> 4. "what languages are you planning to use for the web
> site? How are they to be chosen?"
>
> I suspect this will depend on who volunteers to translate. Any
> thoughts from anyone?
>
> 5. " 'Help newcomers get started by sharing our knowledge and
> experience.' I'd even go so far as to add that this will introduce a
> certain notion of quality in future documentation (a la avoid recreating
> the wheel syndrome)."

> [...]
In view of the recent thread on *Mother Tongue only*, today's word of
the day in from The Linguaphile, A Word A Day is:

xen.o.pho.bi.a n: a fear of foreigners or strangers

Rather, Dan, Our Times... and mine. (Mark Sullivan's book on popular
history)., Current, 10-01-1996, pp 30(5).
"The United States still flirts with isolationism and xenophobia,
as it has always done."

This week's theme: Fear and Desire.

--

Buck Buchanan