Re: "xxx." or "xxx".

Subject: Re: "xxx." or "xxx".
From: "Ridder, Fred" <F -dot- Ridder -at- DIALOGIC -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 1997 13:57:05 -0400

Ah, another one of my favorite recurring subjects. I just love it when
the
list archive isn't working (or when people forget to consult it first).

This issue of where punctuation should fall relative to quote marks is
another one of those differences between American English and what
I guess has to be called British English (kind of a misnomer since
many of the countries that use this flavor of the language are no longer
part of the British Empire). Notice that Terence Kieren, whose reply
voted for the "b" forms, is from Australia. Kris Olberg's response to
your question suggested that you challenge your associates to show
you documentation to support their usage, and I'm certain that they
could do this; the only problem is their textbooks or style guides
would most likely be from England or Canada or Australia rather
than from Chicago, Illinois, USA.

Personally, I've always found the American rule to be non-intuitive in
relation to fragmentary quotes or when using quotes to indicate a
reference to a literal word (e.g. using "slave" out of context...) or a
special term. My personal preference leads me to choose 1a but 2b
as the best usage, but this is MOO.

Fred Ridder (mailto:f -dot- ridder -at- dialogic -dot- com)
Senior Technical Writer
Dialogic Corporation, Parsippany, NJ

And to keep our marketing people happy:
Get the Dialogic Edge at: http://www.dialogic.com