Re: Downside of contracting

Subject: Re: Downside of contracting
From: Bill Brucksch <bbruck -at- HALCYON -dot- COM>
Date: Sat, 20 Sep 1997 05:54:50 -0700

In my opinion, feast or famine is an unavoidable sidebar of contracting.
And with feast or famine goes the issue of making choices based on how
empty your stomach is.

I have nothing against the baser more common elements of life, such as
eating. To me it is acceptable to trade the security of full-time
employment for the flexibility and freedom of contracting; if at times I
take work just to put blueberries on the table, so be it. Hopefully, I can
keep those times few and far between; so far I have.

One thing that helps me in this area is believing that part of my job as a
contractor is looking for work every week. That includes having my own
protocol and procedure for finding work while I have work: how much time I
spend at it, what I do, where I look, what I'll consider, etc. I'm willing
to work two jobs at a time to help me transition out of a
just-to-feed-myself job. I have two or three places I look for work when I
have work, without taking away from the quality of my
working-for-blueberries job. I use the newsgroups (seattle.jobs.offered and
misc.jobs.contract) and the National Writers Union as an ongoing sources
of work. In a typical week, the process takes no more than 3-4 hours.

I won't go back to being an employee, even under the worst imaginable
conditions. Contracting offers me the conditions I want, downside and all.

Bill Brucksch