Independent contractor status (was Downside of contracting)

Subject: Independent contractor status (was Downside of contracting)
From: Stephen Forrest <techwriter -at- IBM -dot- NET>
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 1997 18:49:54 GMT

Several of the posts on this topic have mentioned the difficulty in getting
employers to allow work offsite. I think it's important for people working
as independent contractors to be well-informed about the legal status and
definition of an independent contractor. One of the key distinctions is that
if the employer tells you where and when to work, you are an employee in the
eyes of the IRS, and the employer has to pay the employer's share of taxes.
Knowing where these distinctions lie, and how to use them adroitly in
negotiations can preserve a lot of freedom for the independent contractor.