Re: Its and It's

Subject: Re: Its and It's
From: Peter G Margaritis <chief -at- NCMS1 -dot- CB -dot- LUCENT -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 1997 14:59:53 -0400

Christine Jesensky wrote:
> I've asked my "pet engineers" why they never seem
> to use the correct version, and I've come to the
> conclusion that it's an act of civil disobedience.
> They use it's as the possessive because it makes
> sense, and deep down they hope that if they keep
> using it's, it's will become correct.

I am long past the point of amazement on this
its/it's thing with engineers. One time I sat down
with a hydraulic engineer and for 15 minutes explained
to him the difference.

At the end of the session, he said, "Well, it makes
sense the way you explain it, but I'll have to
check it out."

And he did - with two electrical engineers. They all
agreed that I was wrong (They cited an example proving
their point in an engineering mathematical formula
book, circa 1936), and dismissed me as a modern-day
grammatic radical.

So you just sigh, and go on, folks... Engineers...

<standard disclaimer>
Pete Margaritis
Lucent Technologies
chief -at- ncms1 -dot- cb -dot- lucent -dot- com