Re: Fun pairs

Subject: Re: Fun pairs
From: "Bergen, Jane" <janeb -at- ANSWERSOFT -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 1997 15:13:42 -0500

And realtor comes out as reelator.

You know, for years I thought "for all intents and purposes" was "for
all intensive purposes" until I saw it written one day. Since then, I've
encountered a few other people who admitted the same thing. Along the
same lines, I hear "all the sudden" when I say "all of a sudden".... I
wonder if I'm making another blooper there?

When I worked overseas, my British-trained counterparts said
"al-you-MIN-ee-um" where we yanks say "al-OO-min-um" and I always
thought that was funny. I may be wrong, but I think we spell it the same
(aluminum?). Of course, I live in Texas and that could be a whole new
discussion....!!! That's why I would never be the one to correct
anyone's pronunciation.....

Isn't life hilarious?

Jane

Jane Bergen, Technical Writer,