Re: Word 97: Automatic numbering of captions

Subject: Re: Word 97: Automatic numbering of captions
From: Terence Kierans <TKierans -at- TRANSIGO -dot- NET -dot- AU>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 1997 08:00:31 +1000

You wrote:
>I've got some documents that were converted from Word 7 to Word 97 and
>I'm having some problems with automatic numbering of captions. In
>short, the automatic sequential number of captions is not working. In
>chapter 1 of my document, all 15 figures are numbered 1-1.
>
>I checked out the field codes (see below), but I don't see anything
>wrong with them.
>
> Figure {STYLEREF 1 \S} - {SEQ Figure \* ARABIC \s 1}
>
>Can you help?

The following, extracted from Microsoft TechNet, may help sove your problem.

PSS ID Number: Q160915
Article last modified on 08-05-1997
PSS database name: WORD

97

WINDOWS

- Microsoft Word 97 for Windows

SYMPTOMS
========

Captions that include Chapter Numbers are reset to 1 following text
formatted with any Heading style.

For example
-----------

This is the caption numbering expected: Heading 1 text
Figure 1-1

Heading 2 text
Figure 1-2

This is the caption numbering received: Heading 1 text
Figure 1-1

Heading 2 text
Figure 1-1 <--- problem

RESOLUTION
==========

To correct this problem, install Microsoft Word 97 for Windows, Service
Release 1

WORKAROUND
==========

The Caption command on the Insert menu inserts a field similar to the
following:

Figure {STYLEREF 1 \s}-{SEQ Figure \* ARABIC \s 1}

NOTE: See the MORE INFORMATION section for how to view the caption fields.

To work around the problem, modify the caption fields using one of the
following methods.

Method 1: Remove the 1 After the \s in the Caption Field

Remove the 1 after the \s in the caption field for all levels
except the first caption fields following the first heading
levels.

- Change the caption field for the first caption following all first
level headings (for example Heading 1):

Figure {STYLEREF 1 \s}-{SEQ Figure \* ARABIC \s 1}

- Change the caption field for any other captions regardless of what
heading level it follows:

Figure {STYLEREF 1 \s}-{SEQ Figure \* ARABIC \s}

Method 2: Replace "\s 1" Switches with the "\r 1" Switch

Remove all "\s 1" switches in the caption fields and replace with the
"\r 1" switch only on the first captions following all first level
headings:

- Change the caption field for the first caption following all first
level headings (for example Heading 1):

Figure {STYLEREF 1 \s}-{SEQ Figure \* ARABIC \r 1}

- Change the caption field for any other captions regardless of what
heading level it follows:

Figure {STYLEREF 1 \s}-{SEQ Figure \* ARABIC}

NOTE: The Insert Caption command inserts an "\s 1" (without the quotes)
switch to each sequence (SEQ) field in the caption. If you add another
caption after using any of the above methods, your changes are deleted
and the "\s 1" is added back to all the caption SEQ fields. To avoid this
problem, do not use the Caption option on the Insert menu. Instead, insert
any additional captions using the following fields:

Figure {STYLEREF 1 \s} - {SEQ Figure \* ARABIC}

STATUS
======

Microsoft has confirmed this to be a problem in Microsoft Word 97 for
Windows. This problem was corrected in Microsoft Word 97 for Windows,
Service Release 1.

MORE INFORMATION

To view the fields that comprise the caption, do one of the following:

- On the Tools menu, click Options, and then click the View tab. Under
Show, click to select the Field Codes check box, and then click OK.

-or-

- Press ALT+F9 on the keyboard to toggle the field codes on and off.